As a creative entrepreneur working from home, designating a space that nurtures my creativity and productivity is essential for my focus and drive. If I’m working for hours, I want to make sure I have comfortable seating and water nearby. I want to make sure that if I take a second to pause that I am inspired by the environment around me.
If you’re a creative entrepreneur who wants to build an at-home office, consider this; appeal to your senses. What smells make you feel relaxed? Are you a person who needs the energy and oxygen a plant exudes just by sitting near a window in your space? Do you like coffee or tea while you work? Do you listen to music while you work?
Create a budget, create a list, make room in your home, and get started. Make it fun! Even if you aren’t able to get everything on your list. Make do with what you have. I’ve made it work in a comfortable space on the floor with cushion pillows and a foldable desk adorned with a candle and clustered crystal. That’s what I love about being a creative, the freedom of being unconventional.
Here’s a list of a few basic items needed for your home office:
- Designated room or area
- Comfortable seating
- Stationery items such as pens, notebooks, planners, sticky notes, paperclips, etc.
- File Folders and File cabinet
- Computer or Laptop with Mouse
- Extra Power Cords and Chargers
Here’s a list of a few at home office essentials that may help fuel your creativity and drive:
- Choose an object or two that inspires you such as an art piece you can hang on the wall or a small sentimental trinket.
- Candles. (A lit candle can make any space feel alive.)
- Extra seat cushions for back support
- Throw blankets because.. Comfort.
- Blue Light Glasses (to prevent damage to your vision from spending hours in front of a screen.)
- Humidifier with your favorite essential oils. (This makes me feel real Zen).
- Plants (Plants are necessary friends)
- Water (Water is life)
- Tea Kettle or Coffee Maker and a Mug
- Snacks because.. Snacks.
- Portable Speakers or Headphones. (Music is inspiring)
Below is a list of Black-owned online shops selling office supplies and necessities. Get into it!
Stationery and Office Supplies
Plants and Accessories
Blue Light Glasses
Decor and Furniture